Part 1: “Whatever He does is well done.”
Sister Genevieve of the Holy Face, who was both the blood sister of St.
Therese as well as her sister in the Carmel, wrote that their beautiful mother lived
by the absolute, unwavering conviction that
“God governs all things, that He has a particular love for us, and that whatever He does is well done.”
This virtue of radical trust, of deep and desperate faithfulness, of
clinging to the unshakable truth that God is good and that everything He wills
for my life – the beautiful and joyful along with the painful and the
stretching beyond what I think I can bear – will work together for my salvation.
It’s a virtue that I’ve never possessed, and what’s worse, one that I’ve
never even really sought after. Just typing the word abandonment sends a little shudder through this strong-willed, plan-it-out,
perfectionist-prone girl. What? Let go of my
plans? Relinquish my dreams and
ideals for the future? Lay aside my
need to control every aspect of my
life??
And what about suffering. When
I make plans for my life, I usually make it a rule to forego most major
varieties of pain, woe, and hardship (exception: whatever form of these that
might be necessary to grow a new life under my heart). But if I hand over
control to God, if I open my heart to receive whatever He wants to give me, there
may very well be some (or a lot) of suffering. Just look at the lives of the
Saints.
All of that might be ok for Zelie – she was so holy and her daughter was
St. Therese, for crying out loud– but it sounds way too demanding for a
“normal” person, like me, just trying to live out marriage and family life here
in the trenches.
Wait a minute. As much as I’d like to give myself a Get Out of Jail Free
card on this one, I don’t think that would fly if/when I get to Heaven. “Lord, I love You and I know that You’re God,
but...I really just didn’t trust You to run my life the way that’s best for me.
Sorry, but I really didn’t ever master that little virtue of abandonment (shudder)...”
But the truth of the matter is, if anyone had reason to doubt the
goodness of God’s will and to give herself a “pass” on practicing abandonment,
it was Zelie. She bore nine children, three of whom died in infancy, and
another at the age of five. She was continuously full of anxiety over the
health of her five remaining children, who were often sick when they were
young. In her prime, as she was raising her daughters and running her business
and building her domestic church, she developed breast cancer. The progression
of her illness was extremely painful and debilitating, and although she prayed
for a miracle of healing for the sake of her family, she knew death was likely
imminent.
Yet through all of this suffering, she faithfully and patiently accepted
God’s will for her life, and even sang His praises. Why? Because she knew
beyond any doubt that God loved her.
He loved her. As a father loves
his children, so our God cares for us, deeply and intimately. Zelie wrote this in a letter to her brother:
“When I think of what the good God, in whom I placed all my confidence...has done for me and my husband, I cannot doubt but that His divine Providence watches over His children in a particular way.”
Sister Genevieve remarked that “it was this assurance of invincible,
even audacious confidence towards our Father in Heaven, that sustained her in
her many trials.”
Blessed Zelie truly was extraordinary in this heroic confidence and holy
abandonment with which she daily lived out her vocation {and consider how this
heroism must have inspired holiness in her daughter Therese, who became the
“greatest saint of modern times.”}
What if the same loving God to whom Zelie abandoned herself wants to make
this heroic confidence a reality in my life as well – if only I would cast
aside my desire to hold the reigns, and open myself up to Him?
What if I were to place all of my plans – from the loftiest to the
smallest, from how I want to use my Master’s degree in two years, to what I
want to do with my “free” time while the kids nap today – into the hands of my
loving Father, and let them go?
What if I were to believe that He knows every fiber of my being, He
knows the inner workings of my heart, He understands my longings even more than
I do myself – and He is asking me to live by the conviction that His love is
greater than my fears?
What if I were to repeat, with every beat of my heart, “Whatever He does
is well done,” until it became a truth ingrained in my soul, deep and
unshakable, as God has always wanted it to be?
And what if, at the end of a life lived in holy abandonment, I can
joyously enter Heaven and kneel before Him, and with a heart already full of
Him and not of myself, I can hear Him
say, “Well done”?
Whatever He does is well done.
Whatever He does is well done.

No comments:
Post a Comment